Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Many adults pursue treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, in addition to wanting to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too!
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite (malocclusion), causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Crowded or spaced teeth, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. However, today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, esthetic and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Ceramic (tooth-colored) braces
- Invisible braces (Invisalign)
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which in some cases may indicate a different method of treatment. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth may be less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Dr. Hanson and Dr. Knudsen recognize that adults and children have different needs and require different levels of attention and care. The entire team at Central Minnesota Orthodontics will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments and that your needs are met with understanding and respect.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth. — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence. — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse. — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact us to schedule an appointment. We understand that you may have a busy schedule, so we'll work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.